My Photo
Name:
Location: Hospers, Iowa, United States

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Brief Violation

~ by Rodney Crater ~

Wearily I walked into my den dropping my bulging briefcase to the floor. I was so tired of preparing for this court case. The mirror on the wall reflected the dark circles under my eyes. If only tomorrow were here and it was finally over, I would be free again. I opened the window hoping the fresh air would invigorate me and sat drinking coffee, contemplating my assignment.

Somewhere from the other side of the shear gossamer curtains that now blew softly to and fro, the warm night breeze beckoned to me, filling the room with the sweet smell of magnolias. I turned to see the moon smiling through the window, calling, enticing me to stray outside into the beautiful night of milky stars.

I stared at the briefcase and knew I could not abandon my duty, too many people were depending on me. As I opened the case a gentle wind blew in swirling through the papers, mixing them amongst each other as if to say 'come away from your dreaded chore'. Suddenly a nightingale began singing a soft melody, inviting me to listen and forget the frustration before me.

Seduced beyond my will, I stepped out onto my garden patio and lay back in my lounge chair staring into the vastness above. A world of wonder stretched above as I watched the twinkling heavens. The delicate smell of fresh blooms cradled my body in a hypnotic trance carrying me up to join the Man-in the-moon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home